The mission of the California Science Center is to stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone by creating fun, memorable experiences, because we value science as an indispensable tool for understanding our world, accessibility and inclusiveness, and enriching people's lives.
The California Science Center is one of the world's leading science centers devoted to science learning. It is among the most attended museums in North America, with over 2.5 million guests each year for the past two years and is the permanent home of the Space Shuttle Endeavour. The California Science Center is currently developing a major expansion, the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center. The California Science Center holds prestigious accreditations by the American Alliance of Museums and the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The California Science Center is a department of the State of California (State) and who works in partnership with the not-for-profit California Science Center Foundation (Foundation) to bring our mission to life. Visit us on the web to learn more: californiasciencecenter.org.
The Horticulturist Assistant assists with the procurement, planting and maintenance of a diverse horticulture collection and themed environments within the exhibits, greenhouse and surrounding landscape areas. The Assistant participates in the acquisition, planting, growth and maintenance of a diverse horticulture collection that will be integrated into complete ecosystems, exhibits and themed gardens.
- Familiarity with small engine landscape equipment and comfortable with their use.
- Familiarity with all personal protective equipment used during landscape maintenance operations.
- Familiarity with outdoor and greenhouse plant production, propagation, maintenance and growth.
- Familiarity with maintenance of various landscapes and working with diverse plan collections.
- Familiarity of soil science, plant/soil interactions, custom blending and amending.
- Familiarity with integrated pest management, development of plant health care programs, insect and disease identification and control.
- Familiarity and knowledge of automated and manual irrigation systems, their design, programming, maintenance and operation.
- Ability to work in various wet, humid, hot and dirty indoor, outdoor and greenhouse environments.
- Good written and oral communication skills required.
- Must be highly organized with attention to detail.
- Capable of lifting up to seventy-five pounds and operating mechanical machinery.
- Minimal travel may be required.
- Must possess a positive attitude and be a team player.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, holidays and some evenings.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Participates in the procurement, planting and maintenance of a diverse horticulture collection within our gardens, greenhouse and exhibits.
- Responsible for plant propagation and production from seed or cuttings, planting, transplanting, pest control, mixing custom soil blends, fertilizer application and pruning of young/mature specimens.
- Implements and maintains plant health care and integrated pest management programs.
- Designs, programming, maintenance and operation of irrigation systems within landscapes, greenhouse and exhibits.
- Identifies plant toxicity and other potential hazards in the horticulture collection that could affect the animal collection, staff and guests.
- Adapts native, non-native, rare and exotic species to the California Science Center environment.
- Works with all Living Collections staff and as well as other departments as deemed necessary to evaluate the role and use of plants in the animal behavioral enrichment programs, exhibits and displays.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relationships with botanical gardens, arboretums, zoos, museums, universities and other research institutions.
- Performs other duties as required.
Starting at $12.50 an hour with excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage; retirement package; free science center membership, and group term life insurance
Send Cover Letter, Resume and Salary History (A Must) to the HR Dept. via fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org, or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. No phone calls please. EOE.