The mission of the California Science Center is to stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone by creating fun, memorable experiences, because we value science as an indispensable tool for understanding our world, accessibility and inclusiveness, and enriching people's lives.
The California Science Center is one of the world's leading science centers devoted to science learning. It is among the most attended museums in North America, with over 2.5 million guests each year for the past two years and is the permanent home of the Space Shuttle Endeavour. The California Science Center is currently developing a major expansion, the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center. The California Science Center holds prestigious accreditations by the American Alliance of Museums and the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The California Science Center is a department of the State of California (State) and who works in partnership with the not-for-profit California Science Center Foundation (Foundation) to bring our mission to life. Visit us on the web to learn more: californiasciencecenter.org.
About BODY WORLDS - Pulse:
The California Science Center is proud to welcome Dr. Gunther von Hagens’ latest exhibition BODY WORLDS: Pulse.
BODY WORLDS: Pulse provides an opportunity to learn about human anatomy, physiology and health. The new generation of plastinates includes an obese body slice, a smoker’s black lung and hardened arteries that show the impact of ill health. In contrast, dancers, sports figures, and a woman bearing life, illustrate how bodies function when lifestyles support good health and well-being.
BODY WORLDS: Pulse opens May 20, 2017. See website for more details: californiasciencecenter.org
Cashiers are responsible for the accurate and speedy processing of ticket sales. Cashiers are expected to have strong public speaking skills in order to interact with guests in a helpful and polite manner at all times. In addition to their primary work inside the box office, cashiers are expected to be familiar with all the exhibit components and shall, as needed, work in other areas of the California Science Center to help create a great guest experience. Cashiers are also responsible for working at the Information Desk where they serve as the liaison between the gallery staff and other departments, in addition to helping customers with frequently asked questions. At management's discretion, the box office cashiers may be required to perform other duties as necessary.
- 1+ years of customer/guest services and/or host experience preferred
- Experience working with attractions preferred
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of the California Science Center's exhibits and daily operations
- Excellent cash handling skills preferred
- Capable of maintaining exceptional attendance
- Experience scheduling rest and meal breaks for staff preferred
- Experience working with computers and computer software
- Experience working with the OMNI Ticketing System preferred
- Experience in cash handling area preferred
- Experience or ability to operate attractions (Climbing Wall, High Wire Bike, etc.)
- Ability to walk and/or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to type 35wpm preferred
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays as required
- Ability to lift, carry, pull and/or push a minimum of 25lbs required
Major Job Responsibilities:
Deliver High Quality, Guest Friendly Service
- In a professional manner, deal with any minor guest issues concerning the Box Office transactions and IMAX theater.
- When assigned to a paid exhibit, attraction or work area, follow all cash handling procedures. Sell/redeem attraction tickets, and assist guests with their exhibit/attraction experience.
- Inform guests of attraction specific rules and regulations/requirements.
- Provide accurate information about all IMAX films currently showing and upcoming films as released.
- Retain complete knowledge of all coupons, discounts, group, consignment and complimentary ticket procedures
- Familiarize yourself with all of California Science Center offerings and park entities to properly direct guests to their destination of choice
- Provide information about the California Science Center and Exposition Park events
- Ensure that the brochure racks are stocked with Explorer Guides, IMAX Schedules and/or any other marketing issued literature.
- Serve guests in a speedy and efficient manner striving to keep each guest transaction under 2 minutes in length.
- Inform guests of sold out shows
- Sell and redeem gift cards
Ensure High Standards of Quality
- Ensure indoor work area and outside box office area maintain cleanliness levels; fingerprint dusting, broom and scoop area frequently.
- Refer work order requests to a lead, supervisor or manager as necessary
- Clean the Box Office as necessary including the windows, counters, inner office area and outside guest area.
- Help to control/eliminate shortage opportunities through proper use of equipment, reporting problems, and following shortage procedures set forth by management.
- Maintain schedule displays to reflect accurate information.
- At paid exhibits/attractions, help to control/eliminate shortage opportunities through proper use of equipment, reporting problems, and following shortage procedures set forth by management.
- At paid exhibits/attractions, ensure transactions are accurately being completed and avoid being over/short in the amount of $3 in any given month.
- Arrive to work on your scheduled days and scheduled times.
Practice Safety at the Workplace
- Follow High Wire Bicycle and Climbing Wall safety procedures.
- Execute Emergency Evacuation Plan when necessary.
- Properly secure daily bank (issued change money).
- Ensure that the Box Office is secure by locking all doors.
- Understand and implement crisis procedures in the event of a lost show, loss of power, computer failure or other urgent event.
- Communicate with Lead and Management Team Members
- Communicate any staff or guest issues to a Lead, Supervisor or Manager when they arise.
- Call for a supervisor or manager when guest request refunds and/or exchanges.
- Monitor IMAX Show attendance and inform management, information desk and/or parking operations when a show time is oversold or sold out.
- Communicate with group check-in staff to ensure that groups have all registered their attendance and made payment prior to beginning their visit.
Follow all Clerical Procedures
- Operate the OMNI Ticketing system correctly/accurately.
- Follow all of the box office cash handling policies: calculate change, deposits, and daily bank accurately.
- Prepare and complete the end-of-day reconciliation paperwork.
- Prepare and distribute welcome packets to walk up group leaders.
- Perform other duties as required.
$12.25 per hour
Send Cover Letter, Resume and Salary Target to the HR Dept. via fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org , or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. No phone calls please. EOE.