The California Science Center’s mission is to stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone, by creating fun, memorable experiences. We are an internationally recognized leader in informal science education and currently undertaking our biggest endeavor yet – to build the new Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center, a major expansion and the permanent home of Space Shuttle Endeavour.
EndeavourLA is the California Science Center Foundation’s $250 million campaign to build the new Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center, a 200,000 square foot addition to the California Science Center's main building. The new addition will join together existing exhibits with three stories of new galleries. Long envisioned as Phase III of the Science Center’s 25-year Master Plan, this major expansion will include a diverse collection of aircraft and spacecraft, and hands-on, educational exhibits that encourage active learning through discovery. EndeavourLA will inspire a new generation of scientists, innovators and explorers.
To learn more about us and the EndeavourLA Campaign visit: californiasciencecenter.org.
You are a highly passionate and dedicated person ready to go above and beyond to support our mission! You enjoy working with people who are equally passionate about their work and making a difference through their non-profit service! You bring the experience and expertise in your field that allow you to thrive as our Senior Campaign Writer!
Are you up for the challenge? Do you bring expertise in a museum development setting? If yes, then we’ve been waiting for you!
About the Job:
The Senior Campaign Writer is part of a dynamic team that advances California Science Center Foundation Campaign initiatives, now focused on EndeavourLA, a $250 million fundraising effort for the creation of the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center, Space Shuttle Endeavour’s permanent home. The ideal candidate is a prolific writer who can create accurate and engaging fundraising materials with ease and adapt copy to fit various contexts and audiences. Strong organizational skills and a keen ability to balance multiple tasks and deadlines are also required.
The Senior Campaign Writer is responsible for writing compelling grant proposals, solicitation materials, reports, letters and other communications to advance the EndeavourLA Campaign and Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center project. The position is also responsible for tracking and fulfilling grant reporting requirements; identifying, researching and profiling prospective donors; and contributing to administrative and information management activities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
- 3+ years previous experience in fundraising and/or communications with a proven track record of grant writing and nonprofit storytelling; campaign experience preferred.
- Strong persuasive writing and editing skills, with the ability to synthesize information from various sources and adapt the tone, style and voice of copy to fit a range of contexts.
- Keen attention to detail and ability to deliver high-quality work within tight time constraints.
- Strong research skills and knowledge of prospect research practices.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team to produce results in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with donors, volunteers and staff across departments.
- Ability to interpret budgets and financial reports and to convey information in narrative form as well as numerically.
- Ability to maintain high standards for information management including tracking gift requirements, financial data, and interdepartmental and external communications.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite applications, Internet research tools and CRM databases; experience with Tessitura preferred.
- Must show discretion in handling sensitive issues and confidential information.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends on occasion.
Major Job Responsibilities:
Writing and Research:
- Create and update materials for the Campaign information kit and write a range of correspondence including personalized acknowledgement letters and project updates.
- Prepare letters of inquiry, proposals, and narrative and financial reports in support of the Campaign and the California Science Center. This includes liaising with various departments and project staff to ensure the information provided is accurate and up-to-date.
- Develop and maintain Campaign and project content for the Science Center website, social media and e-newsletters.
- Research prospective donors and prepare profiles and briefings for staff and volunteers.
- Stay on top of philanthropy-related news and events to identify new prospective donors and updates.
- Maintain a grant docket and other systems to track proposal and reporting schedules, keeping project staff apprised of information needs, milestones and deadlines, to ensure timely fulfillment of grant requirements.
- Contribute to the maintenance of digital and non-digital files for Campaign donor/prospect information and materials.
- Contribute to tracking and coding Campaign contacts and actions in the donor database.
- Assist with cultivation, solicitation and stewardship meetings and events as needed.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of systems and procedures for the effective operation of the Campaign.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
$21.00 - $24.00 an hour. California Science Center Foundation employees receive excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage; retirement package; free science center membership, group term life insurance, and 11 paid holidays.
Take the next step to thoroughly embrace our mission and join us in creating a vibrant and engaged community!
Send Cover Letter, Resume and Salary Target to the HR Dept. via fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org, or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. No phone calls please. EOE.
Position opened until filled. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.