The California Science Center’s mission is to stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone, by creating fun, memorable experiences. We are an internationally recognized leader in informal science education and currently undertaking our biggest endeavor yet – to build the new Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center, a major expansion and the permanent home of Space Shuttle Endeavour.
EndeavourLA is the California Science Center Foundation’s $250 million campaign to build the new Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center, a 200,000 square foot addition to the California Science Center's main building. The new addition will join together existing exhibits with three stories of new galleries. Long envisioned as Phase III of the Science Center’s 25-year Master Plan, this major expansion will include a diverse collection of aircraft and spacecraft, and hands-on, educational exhibits that encourage active learning through discovery. EndeavourLA will inspire a new generation of scientists, innovators and explorers.
This opportunity exists to secure funds for the California Science Center Foundation’s EndeavourLA Campaign by building and managing a portfolio of qualified major gift donors and prospects, and supporting volunteer leaders in advancing campaign strategy.
To learn more about us and the EndeavourLA Campaign visit: californiasciencecenter.org.
You are a highly passionate and dedicated person ready to go above and beyond to support our mission! You enjoy working with people who are equally passionate about their work and making a difference through their non-profit service.
You get satisfaction from helping donors fulfill their passions and interests through their giving to California Science Center Foundation (Foundation). You bring the experience and expertise in securing major gifts and fostering donor relations that allow you to thrive as the Associate Campaign Director, Major Gifts.
You are a fundraising professional who can:
- Rally people around our mission – effectively represent the California Science Center’s mission and its priorities with diverse audiences.
- Build and maintain personal relationships - understands the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them and the science center.
- Demonstrate self-motivation and self-discipline - high-performance individual who has demonstrated initiative and achievement against goals.
- Be appropriately persistent – rely on emotional intelligence to work effectively and tactfully with a diverse group of external constituents.
- Be results oriented – demonstrate success and effectiveness in major gift prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, closing, and stewarding major gifts.
As the Associate Campaign Director, Major Gifts, you will thrive in a team environment, working with key Science Center leaders who match the passions and promise of our community with the unwavering generosity of our donors.
About the Job:
The Associate Campaign Director, Major Gifts supports the Foundation's EndeavourLA Campaign for the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center. The Associate Campaign Director, Major Gifts is responsible for developing and implementing successful initiatives in major gifts and planned giving, concentrating on six- and seven-figure gifts, and essentially functions as the chief major gifts officer. The Associate Campaign Director, Major Gifts identifies and qualifies prospective donors; develops strategies for cultivation and solicitation; manages relationships and stewards donors; and oversees the Legacy for Science Learning planned giving program.
- Bachelors degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
- Previous fundraising experience, 5 or more years; campaign experience preferred.
- Highly motivated self-starter with excellent follow-through and ability to manage multiple high-priority tasks while balancing all assigned responsibilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and professional demeanor with demonstrated ability to build and maintain productive relationships with senior staff, board members and major donors.
- Successful track record of soliciting and closing major gifts.
- In-depth knowledge of planned giving and its complexities (estate planning, tax laws, wills, trusts, etc.).
- Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to strategize, set and meet goals.
- Excellent prospect research, persuasive writing and editing skills with experience producing winning proposals or compelling collateral materials; must be able to produce relevant writing samples upon request.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills with keen attention to detail.
- Comfort in researching and analyzing large groups of data to identify planned giving prospects.
- Exceptional communication, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team to produce results in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office suite programs and familiarity with donor databases or constituent relationship management systems. Experience with Tessitura is a plus.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Identify and qualify prospective major gift donors, including prospects for planned gifts.
- Build relationships with prospective and current donors on behalf of the Foundation.
- Actively manage a portfolio of major donors and prospects, including: develop customized cultivation strategies to move prospective donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; initiate contacts with prospects; make solicitations when appropriate; maintain stewardship contacts with donors.
- Track prospect activity, monitor results and report regularly on progress toward goals.
- Provide staff support to the Campaign Committee, providing support to Trustees and other leaders and following up regularly on assigned actions to advance the campaign.
- Advise volunteer leaders and staff on cultivation and solicitation strategy.
- Contribute to writing campaign correspondence, proposals, reports, other communications and collateral materials as necessary.
- Plan and coordinate donor/prospect cultivation and stewardship events, visits, meetings and tours and participate as appropriate.
- Manage all aspects of the Legacy for Science Learning planned giving program, including: promotion of the program; recognition and stewardship of existing donors; developing educational opportunities on planned giving for prospective donors.
- Expand the pool of prospective planned gift donors; research, identify and contact planned gift prospects.
Commensurate with experience. California Science Center Foundation employees receive excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage; retirement package; free science center membership, group term life insurance, and 11 paid holidays.
Take the next step to thoroughly embrace our mission and join us in creating a vibrant and engaged community!
Send Cover Letter, Resume and Salary Target to the HR Dept. via fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org, or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. No phone calls please. EOE.
Your cover letter should address your experience in the following 4 areas:
- Relationship Building - engaging and interacting with others to achieve organizational goals and fulfill interpersonal commitments.
- Fundraising - what is your experience with fundraising, particularly with securing major gifts?
- Professional Judgment - involving and inspiring others to realize philanthropic and organizational vision.
- Exemplary Communicator - the role of major gifts officer isn’t a solitary one. You often act as an intermediary between the organization and your major gift prospects which means you must manage a variety of interactions that require a high level of communication.
Position opened until filled. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.